How does local aid for the purchase of an EV work?
Buying an electric bike is becoming more and more attractive, and there are now many grants to help pay for it. In addition to the State subsidies, many local authorities (French cities, regions, etc.) also offer subsidies to promote cleaner mobility. But what are they and how are they allocated?
Local grants: what you need to know
At the national level, France offers various subsidies, including the ecological bonus for the purchase of an electric bicycle or the conversion bonus, butwhich local authorities are likely to offer electric bicycle assistance? Local subsidies for the purchase of an electrically assisted bicycle (EAB) vary from one community to another. Whether it's an electrically-assisted bike, a folding electric bike or a cargo bike, there are many grants and subsidies available, depending on your situation.
Zoom on the conditions of the subsidies delivered by the communities:
They are often subject to certain conditions. Here are some general information to take into account:
- the aids are generally intended for the private individuals residing in the concerned region;
- The conditions of attribution vary: some aids may be reserved for people with low incomes, for students or for people who use bicycles to get to work or for people with disabilities. In most cases, people with disabilities are not subject to income requirements;
- the amounts of the subsidies vary similarly from a few dozen to several hundred euros depending on the region. In addition, the maximum amount is generally 25% of the purchase price of the electric bikes;
- to benefit from the aid, it is often necessary to buy an electric bicycle from an approved dealer in the region concerned, each local authority offering reference dealers on their website;
- the subsidies can usually be combined with other subsidies, such as the conversion bonus for scrapping an old vehicle, or the tax credit for energy transition (CITE);
- It is important to check the deadline for submitting the application and the documents required to obtain the aid. Generally, it is necessary to file the application in the year of the purchase of the bike. In most cases, it is a form to be filled out directly online.
What documents are required in most cases?
Although it differs from one municipality and region to another, you will generally be asked to provide the same documents to complete the form, including
- a copy of both sides of your identity card, passport or residence permit. This must of course be valid;
- a copy of your tax assessment (or non-tax assessment) for the year preceding the purchase of the bicycle;
- a copy of your bank statement;
- a copy of a proof of address less than three months old;
- a copy of the bicycle purchase invoice.
Local aid offered by the regions
Only a few regions in France currently offer grants or subsidies for the purchase of a V.A.E. These include: the Pays de la Loire, Corsica, Île-de-France and Occitania. However, these subsidies can often be combined with other national or local subsidies.
Occitania: the Eco-Mobility Check
What are the conditions for the purchase of a VAE in Occitania?
- The electric bicycle you purchase must not use a lead battery and must comply with current regulations. It must be new and purchased from a professionalwho practices in Occitania (as of January 1ᵉʳ, 2023), and must not be sold or transferred within a year of its acquisition ;
- Concerning the purchaser; you must be an adult, be able to provide a copy of a document proving your main residence in Occitania, have a reference tax income less than or equal to 14,089 €;
- The maximum amount of the aid is 200 €.
How to benefit from the aid ?
To benefit from the Occitanie region's aid, you will have to go directly to their online platform dedicated to my online aid. The file to be filled directly on line.
Pays de la Loire
What are the conditions for the aid for the purchase of a VAE in Pays de la Loire?
The region offers assistance for individuals, under certain eligibility conditions (mainly for Tutti illimité, Métrocéane, etc.), to be found on the region's website.
- you must be an individual;
- in order to be eligible, you must have one of the following subscriptions: Tutti illimité and Tutti illimité combiné; Métrocéane monthly; be an annual subscriber of Loire-Atlantique, Maine, Loire or Sarthe; be a monthly subscriber of Mayenne and Vendée networks;
- the maximum amount of aid is 200 € (50% of the maximum purchase price).
How to apply?
If you meet the criteria, you can apply online via the Aid Portal . The amount will be paid to the applicant once the application has been validated by the Region.
What are the conditions for the aid for the purchase of a VAE in Corsica?
- to be a private individual and to reside in Corsica;
- the electric bicycle can be new or reconditioned;
- the electric bicycle must be purchased from a bicycle shop that is a partner of the subsidy; the map of partner stores can be seen on the region's website;
- there are some exclusions : electric mountain bikes, racing bikes and online purchases;
- the amount of the subsidy is limited to 500 € for a maximum of 25% of the purchase price;
- The bicyclemust not be sold or transferred within 3 years of purchase.
How do I apply?
The rebate will be given directly at the time of purchase, subject to presentation of a copy of proof of address and identification.
Île-de-France: purchase bonus
The Île-de-France region offers various forms of assistance depending on the type of electric bicycle purchased.
What are the conditions for receiving aid for the purchase of an electric bicycle in Île-de-France?
- You must be of legal age and live in Île-de-France;
- the bike must be new and purchased from 1ᵉʳ December 2019 ;
- not have already benefited from the aid;
- not resell the bike within three years of purchase.
Regarding the amount, it depends on the type of electric bike purchased, you will find all the conditions and amount directly on the website of Île-de-France Mobilité.
How to apply?
As with many other regions and municipalities, you can apply online at mes-demarches.iledefrance-mobilites.fr.
Assistance offered by municipalities throughout France:
You have probably wondered what local subsidies are available for the purchase of an electric bicycle? Many grants and subsidies exist throughout the French metropolis, you can visit the website of your region or your municipality to find out if there is any help in your city. Among the many municipalities participating, you will find below a non-exhaustive list of some cities offering assistance for the purchase of an electric bike:
- Paris offers several types of subsidies up to a maximum of 600 € (representing a maximum of 33% of the purchase price) for the purchase of a new or used electric bicycle, for individuals residing in the capital, provided that they are over 18 years old and can prove that they have been living in Paris for at least 1 year. More information on the website of the city of Paris;
- Lyon used to offer a subsidy of 25% of the purchase price of a new electric bicycle, up to a limit of 250 €. However, Lyon has stopped this subsidy since January 2023. More information on the city of Lyon 's website;
- Nantes offers financial assistance of up to 1,500 € for the purchase of a new electric bicycle, for individuals residing in the city. The allocation of this bonus (up to 90% of the purchase price) is made according to the family quota. More information on the website of the city of Nantes;
- Toulouse offers a subsidy of up to 600 € depending on the type of bike (electrically assisted bike, cargo bike). This subsidy is open to all inhabitants of Toulouse Metropole subject to resources and also to professionals. More information on the website of the city of Toulouse;
- Montpellier: the city of Montpellier offers financial assistance of 25% of the purchase price of a new electric bicycle, up to a maximum of 200 €. This assistance is reserved for residents of the Montpellier metropolitan area, under certain conditions. More information on the website of the city of Montpellier;
- Rouen: the city of Rouen offers financial aid of up to 1,000 € depending on the type of V.A.E . This aid is open to all residents of the Rouen Normandy Metropolis, regardless of age or income. More information on the website of the city of Rouen;
- Nice: the city of Nice offers a subsidy of 25% of the purchase price of a new electric bicycle, up to a limit of 400 €, 300 €, 200 € or 100 € depending on your taxable income. This assistance is reserved for residents of the city, under certain conditions. More information on the website of the city of Nice;
- Lille: the city of Lille offers financial aid to people actively seeking employment, only for young people between 16 and 25 years old. The maximum amount of aid is 200 €, but it can be increased by 100 € for the purchase of safety equipment. More information on the website of the city of Lille.
In summary, local aid for the purchase of a VAE can be a real financial boost for individuals. It is important to check with your local authorities to find out the conditions of attribution and the amounts of aid available in your region.
We recommend these other pages: